Wednesday 7 July 2010

First post- What's in a name?


I thought I'd start at the beginning. Many people ask me where the name Jinja jewellery comes from. When deciding on a name for my business I wanted something that went back to my roots. I was born in Zambia in Africa and although I was only there for 2 months Africa is in my soul. I also wanted something that reflected my life now. Jinja was the perfect name, it is a town in Uganda, one of the places where you can see gorillas and also means stone which was appropriate for my jewellery making. So that was my African side covered. For my life now, well I have a ginger husband and 2 gorgeous ginger girls.

One of the first pieces I made was this bracelet, I named it Chingola after a town in Zambia which is part of the copper belt. I felt the copper and orange colour complimented each other perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. i love the jewelry- but onl seen one piece so far- looking forward to seeing other stuff you do- love the connection to africa and that its in your soul! love it. looking good dont forget to keep me posted! i have folowed so many blogs now and there are so many to read- i quickyl forget and get comepletely lost- so if you send me a comment on my blog to remeber you i will follow- i love that orange africa thing going on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogging!

    I adore the colours in the beaded beaded bracelet you have pictured!

    Looking forward to future blogs and looking at your folksy shop.

    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete